The Life and Health Sciences Research Expo acknowledges exemplary research and learning activity at the University of Saskatchewan. After being cancelled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the annual event is returning in a virtual format to showcase interdisciplinary health science research throughout the province and across both basic and clinical sciences.
The 2021 expo will consist of online PowerPoint research presentation sessions — some in the morning and some in the afternoon with up to 160 researchers competing — plus an afternoon online awards reception. Student prizes available at the research expo total over $5,000!
USask students, researchers, faculty, staff, and senior leaders are invited to celebrate outstanding research, collaboration, and mentorship within the health sciences.
Ways to participate
- Submit an abstract for the research presentation competition
- Submit a paper for the Best Paper Award
- Nominate an outstanding faculty supervisor for the Best Supervisor Award
Friday, April 9, 2021 — Deadline to register and submit materials (abstracts for the presentation competition, papers, and/or award nominations)
Thursday, May 6, 2021 — 2021 Life and Health Sciences Research Expo
The registration and materials submission period for the 2021 Life and Health Sciences Research Expo opened Feb. 18 and closes April 9, 2021.
Research presentation competition
Graduate students, undergraduate students, post-doctoral researchers, and dentistry and medical residents are invited to submit an abstract in order to participate in the Life and Health Sciences Research Expo presentation competition.
Research presentation competition categories:
- Basic Science
- Clinical Science
- Social & Population Health
Based on the quality of the research presented, there may also be additional awards presented for achievement aligning with the following themes:
- Interdisciplinary/Interprofessional Collaboration
- Indigenous Health Research — NEW!
- COVID-19 Pandemic Research, Response, and/or Outreach — NEW!
- The call for abstracts operates on a first-come, first-served basis and will remain open until 160 abstracts have been received or until the deadline is reached—whichever comes first.
- The deadline for submitting an abstract to the 2021 research presentation competition is end-of-day April 9, 2021.
- Accepted applicants will be notified by email no later than April 16, 2021.
- Preview the 2021 research presentation abstract submission form.
Research presentation guidelines
- Research presenters will deliver their online presentations in PowerPoint format.
- The use of USask PowerPoint templates is strongly encouraged.
- No more than five slides per presentation will be allowed.
- Presentations will not exceed five minutes.
- Presentations will be followed by a brief Q&A session.
- Explore tips on how to present your research.
- Access approved USask logos to include in your PowerPoint.
- View the research presentation judging rubric.
- View the 2019 prize winners.
- Download the 2019 Life and Health Sciences Research Expo book to review abstracts and summaries from previous award winners.
Best Paper Award
At an online awards event to be held on May 6, 2021, cash prizes will be awarded to outstanding research papers submitted to the Life and Health Sciences Research Expo.
- Undergraduate and graduate students, post-doctoral researchers, and dentistry and medical residents are invited to submit a paper.
- The deadline for submitting a paper is end-of-day April 9, 2021.
- The paper must be high-quality and published in an academic, peer-reviewed journal after July 1, 2019.
- Applicants must be a senior author on the paper.
- Applicants do not have to submit an abstract for the research presentation competition to be considered for this award.
- Winners will be notified via email and will be invited to the awards portion of the online Research Expo on May 6, where they will receive their prize.
- Best paper winners will share their research in a three-minute thesis-style presentation at the lunch awards event.
Best Supervisor Award
This student-nominated award honours a faculty supervisor who has provided outstanding mentorship and guidance to graduate students in the health sciences at the University of Saskatchewan.
- Nominators do not have to submit an abstract for the research presentation competition in order to nominate a faculty supervisor.
- The winner will be notified via email and invited to be recognized online by the nominator among students and peers at the late afternoon awards portion of the May 6 Research Expo.
- The nomination deadline is end-of-day April 9, 2021.
- Preview the Best Supervisor Award nomination questions.
The agenda will be posted here once finalized.
Frequently asked questions
The University of Saskatchewan Life and Health Sciences Research Expo would not be possible without the continued support of our sponsors. We would like to thank our sponsors for helping showcase the interdisciplinary health science research taking place throughout the province and across both basic and clinical sciences.
University of Saskatchewan sponsors
For questions regarding registration, judging, or sponsorship opportunities, please contact expo organizers.